Saturday, January 14, 2012

Butterflies or Bugs at FSC!

Fashionable Stamping Challenges is in search of "Butterflies or Bugs" and in my case that would be both!  First let me remind you that we are all about stamping and that use of digi background papers is just fine.  We just want to see the focal point of your lovely creations with stamped images.  Don't forget that Marina of Cottage Crafts is our sponsor and there is always a nice stamping prize.  BTW, that is one of my New Year's resolutions, to use the enormous amount of stamps I have!!!  With that in mind, all of my stamps are from Stampin Up.  I have several of their butterfly stamps, which are among my favorites as far as butterflies go.  We were putting away Christmas decorations and I had to move my unused gourds, so that is where the idea came into play.  My Mom and I bought several gourds for decorative painting and since I no longer paint :-( the idea of adding stamps was born!  Here it is!  No Shirley, I am leaving out that part!  It is an inside joke!  We are also linking this up to Lisa's Bloggers Challenge, "Wings and Things" and Gingersnap Creations #133, "Use a Set or a Line of Stamps."




Since I really liked the natural state of the gourd, I just added sealer, before any stamping activity!  Now I stamped both on tissue paper and a few directly on the gourd.  Don't waste your time stamping directly on the gourd, much better to stamp on tissue paper, cut out closely and then apply.  There is this Palette black glue pad that I purchased some time ago and had never used.  Did some searching and did not really find what I was looking for, so did it my way!  I inked up my glue pad with the black glue and then stamped on the tissue paper.  With the black glue, unless you are going to add embossing powders, you have to heat set.  Once I heat set, I applied perfect pearls in a color pattern I liked.  I brushed off the excess and then turned it over to color on the backside of the tissue paper.  On the blue butterflies, I applied an iridescent foil leafing and it is difficult to see, but there are some really pretty sparkle specs.  After I was done with my butterflies and dragonflies, I wanted some greenery and also did touches of crackle to give this a more rustic/vintage feel.  All layers were done using Mod Podge, which I really love.  I am still thinking if I want to add sprinklings of glitter or beads in areas.  This will most likely be a gift for my daughter, who will have a birthday in February.  I was once her age!! 

Thank you all for visiting and I sure hope to see you at FSC for some great fun!

Palette Black Stamp & Stick Gluepad
Perfect Pearls:  Blue Raspberry, Mint, Forever Violet, Forever Blue, Perfect Copper, Cappuccino, Mandarin, Perfect Gold, Green Patina
Stampin Up Markers:  Ruby Red, Certainly Celery, Pale Plum, Bordering Blue, Bashful Blue, Crushed Curry, Close to Cocoa, Apricot Appeal, Creamy Caramel
Multi colored foil leafing
Rock Candy Crackle
Distress Ink:  Vintage Photo
Sealer, Mod Podge

48 comments:

Pam said...

That's the prettiest gourd! Love how you've applied stamped images to it!

Brenda Brown said...

A brilliant work of art Terry and a great post. Love the pics, even the close-ups hehe. Great idea with the tissue paper, but not heard of black glue?? Were your ears ringing today? We are starting to organise our itinerary for August woo hoo.
Happy Sunday.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Netty said...

Well I have never seen anything like this before, its fantastic Terry. You certainly are the tops in the originality stakes. Marvelous.

Thank you for submitting this wonderful gourd to Gingersnap Creations. Annette x

Marjie Kemper said...

How gorgeous, Terry, and so original! My first thought was 'how did she wrap cling-mount stamps so perfectly around this shape' and then I read your tissue technique. Brilliant!

Christine said...

What a very petty gourd. I have never heard of "Black Glue" but it sure seems to work.

Yvonne Garner said...

Terry, a true work of art, made with lots of heart! I've never worked with tissue paper to stamp on before. You make it look so simple. What fixative to you use? Your daughter will love her gift! Enjoy the weekend. My best to you, Yvonne

Lisa Somerville said...

How pretty, makes for a beautiful home decor piece!

Beverly G said...

I agree a brilliant piece of art. I love gourds and this one is a beauty.

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh WOW, Terry,
How amazing!!! This is fantastic work!! You are soooo super-creative!!! I love the butterfly!!!
XO
Cindy

Unknown said...

This looks amazing.. I love the idea of using a gourd.. So clever my friend. And such a great idea of using the tissue paper.. Looks amazing.. Hope you are enjoying your weekend..

Hugs, Linda

Sharon said...

Terry this is totally amazing!!! A very different and unique way to stamp!! So creative!

cheryl said...

oh wow this is brilliant work hun,just stunning detail really looks amazing hun,love it hugs cherylxxxxx

Shirl said...

Fantabulous Terry the techniques you have used to decorate are a work of art (just for you hunny - wish they all looked this pretty!!!!).

Hugs Shirley x x

Ephemera said...

Such a fabulous idea Terry and you have made such a beautiful and unique piece of artwork your daughter will adore it. Have a great day. XX

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work, really lovely! Valerie

Sandra said...

Awesome technique with the tissue paper. You almost can't see that you used that. how clever!

Meggymay said...

A truely amazing inspirational piece. Love it.
Yvonne x

Willy said...

What a wonderful piece, Terry!

Unknown said...

Wow, that really looks amazing Terry! You know how to use your stamps allright! Fantastic work!

Vada said...

Wow Miss Terry! I love all Gourd Art, but never have I seen A Stamped Piece!!! Way To Go Terry...
Hugs Vada

Sugar Lump Studios said...

What a gorgeous gourd! This would also make a really cute bird house/feeder outside. Beautiful and very clever project! Happy Sunday! :)

1CardCreator said...

This is awesome Terry! I love all the detail you put into this, so patient, it must have taken forever! Your daughter will cherish it I'm sure.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is amazing Terry! What a fantastic idea! Enjoy the rest of your weekend! :D

Georgie Horn said...

That's a really neat gourd! I'm hosting a huge giveaway on my blog, stop by and enter!
http://georgie-hornpuddinnpie.blogspot.com/2012/01/january-huge-giveaway-what-do-you-have.html

Silvia(Barnie) said...

How cool is this ?! Terry, that's a fantastic idea and looks really beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous project Terry, the stamping looks amazing on it. I've never come across black glue before, I've used Matt Medium with tissue paper in the past but not been totally happy
, this maybe the new way to go ! Sue C x

Shelly Schmidt said...

How cool is this! I have seen decorated gourds in the past, but never stamped images- love this project!!! WOnderful!!!

Asia King (aka Joanna K) said...

This is amazing Terry, definately a project I will remember for a very long time! Stunning butterflies and I ditto Shirley lol ;)))

Hugs
Joanna xx

Mrs.B said...

WOW!!
This is an amazing piece of art Terry, and SO original.
Love the stamping, butterflies and greenery, great pictures.
Avril xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

How gorgeous this is Terry!
Great job!

greetings, Alie :-)

Christine said...

This is gorgeous Terry! Great Job!!!

Ink Art Designs said...

too pretty to eat! You look like you have had heaps of fun with this project. And the crackle effect is...very realistic I think! Creative stamping in the funnest way!
Dot x

Krisha said...

Terry this is really pretty, what a great idea

Michele said...

oh my gosh Terry this is the BEST!!! the natural colors and the natural beauty -- this is awesome. xofrom, michele

Lynn Stevens said...

I SO agree trying to stamp on the gourd itself is about impossible. Stamping on the tissue FABULOUS!!
Gorgeous gourd Terry.
Hugs Lynn

Claire said...

Gorgeous artwork Terry, and beautiful stamping. Its such an original idea and of course it really made me smile ;-)
hugs
Claire xx

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Wow Terry - this is amazing - never seen anything like it before (well, not stamped on anyway)!! FAB-U-LUS!
Sylvia x

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE your DT piece! What a marvellous idea!

xxx Ellie xxxx

Gisèle said...

Absolute GENIUS !!! love it..

Gio said...

So inventive and fun!! Gorgeous piece, Terry!

Sherry said...

The stamping detail is phenomenal Terry - WTG!!

Lisa said...

Wow, impressive. I've always liked decorative gourds but I wouldn't have known where to begin! What a great idea it stamp on tissue. Your stamped images turned out great!

2amscrapper said...

wow-great art!

BarbaraW said...

Gorgeous piece of art. I know your daughter will love it. Great description of your technique.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Outstanding project Terry! I have the perfect place for it! lol, it's beautiful!

Dolly Daydreams said...

Well I have a few gourds so will definitely give this a try, amazing work and so inspirational.

Marie

Ida said...

What a wonderful and unique gift.
Great job decorating this gourd.

salamanda said...

Stunning piece of art - love the details

Blog Archive