Monday, May 25, 2015

Letters to Friends!

I almost forgot to post these two letters I altered using lots of mixed media for a couple of fabulous friends! Sure hope Brenda and Chris like their letters as much as I enjoyed making them and trying to add elements and colors to suit them. This did take quite some time between figuring out what to add and of course various drying times. It is hard to take photos during the various stages as you can get really caught up in the moment or just need a break. Be forewarned this will be very photo heavy! I have done several of these Mixed Media projects, but this has been the largest! The Sun was quite bright the day of photos, so these are a little less in your face than it appears!
Both wood letters were purchased at a local craft store and are close to a foot tall, gessoed and then I added various layers from texture paste, crackle, fabric, metal and so on! Once all the elements were glued down using gel medium, again all was gessoed. I just wanted you to see this before the white gesso layer.
Next step was to add sprays and this is what I used. For the "B," Color Wash in Denim, Espresso, Meadow and Dylusions in Melted Chocolate, London Bus and Pure Sunshine. For the "C," Dylusions Crushed Grape, London Bus and a few colors of Tattered Angels in pinks. I then used a heat tool to dry most of the color on and then blotted off the excess with a paper towel. I also will use a soft paintbrush to move color where I wish or where I think one color is too overly saturated. Once this was all dried and I was happy with the colors, I gave a spray of matte sealer to set colors.
From this point layers of white gesso and white acrylic paint is used to highlight the areas and you can go as light or heavy as you like. I don't think the highlighting is quite as heavy as the photos may show. If you click on the photos, you can also see more detail.

The "B" in halves!




Now the bits and pieces!

The "C" in halves!
 

And the bits and pieces! I am thankful for the friends I have found in this lovely blogging world of ours, so I am linking this up to Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, "Thank You," Frilly and Funkie's "Happy, Happy, Happy," because these two projects and playing with so many different mediums and elements so does make me happy and Inspiration Journal's, "Pasted."

Thank you for stopping by today on this long photo journey! Next I have an "H" to work on for my Great-granddaughter! Have a lovely day!




19 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow wow wow!!!! Amazing - these are fabulous!

Valerie-Jael said...

Absolutely stunning Terry! Hugs, Valerie

Connie Fossenier said...

Terry this is one of the best pieces you have done. Love them all this is my Favorite.

Astrid Maclean said...

Oh wow Terry, these look incredible!! I always love these Mixed Media techniques and you have used them to perfection here! Great colour choices for these two special ladies too, just perfect!!!

sally said...

Amazing creations! Wish I was on your friends shoulder to see her reaction :-)

Sally

Caty said...

Lovely letters Terry !! Gorgeous, wonderfull!! All is perfect!! Congrats, and big hugs.

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Amazing! Just look at all that detail. Labor of love GF.

Cindy C. said...

Awesome projects!!!

S@ndy Diller said...

The letters are fun and you did a great job on them. They look wonderful and I'm sure Brenda and Chris will love them. Enjoyed seeing your photo on Brenda's blog, looks like you had fun and so nice that the hubbies get along. S@ndy xx

Redanne said...

Both the letters are fabulous! How wonderful to put bumblebees and butterflies on Brenda's and birds and wings on the one for Chris - very special indeed! Very beautiful too! Hugs, Anne xx

Pamellia said...

Holy freaking amazing Terry I just love these, wow! You have used so many wonderful and creative elements to cover your letters with, things I never would have thought to use!! Gorgeous colour combos, so dreamy and well blended! What great gifts these are for two lucky friends!! PINNED 'EM BOTH! hugs :)

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Gorgeous makes, Terry...love the different materials and shapes...and the great effect after the spraytan!
Greetings, Alie

Nicole Wright Designs said...

Ummmm WOW...those are some pretty dynamic letters. Love!!!! Thanks for sharing with us and making us "HAPPY" at Frilly and Funkie! Cheers, Nicole

Unknown said...

These are so fantabulous and unbelievably beautiful xx

Deb said...

Wow Terri, those are amazing! Gorgeous textures and details and I love those little clear beads or droplets on the B, wonderful! Your friends will be over the moon to get these, so beautiful.

Words and Pictures said...

Wowzer... so glad I browsed a little further - I wouldn't have missed these magnificent mixed media letters for the world. What amazing gifts for Brenda and Chris - astounding embellishing and brilliantly shimmering colours.
Alison xx

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful letters and they are going to love them! The colors are gorgeous and love the bits and pieces you assembled on them! Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow! This is the transformation of the century! Never have boring craft store letters looked so good! I really liked all the totally unexpected elements you included and I enjoyed seeing all of the details you included. The paint job was stunning and these will be treasures for many years to come, I'm sure! Thank you so much for sharing your talents with us here at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous, Terry! Love these big letters! The colors are stunning! Love all the treasures you've added to them! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Blog Archive