Saturday, October 8, 2011

Altered Halloween Cigar Box and the TJ Winner!

"Anything But A Card" is the newest challenge at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!  There is a ton of stamping, which of course is a must to enter FSC, painting, inking, decoupage, etc.  My altered box will also be entered in Gingersnap Creations GC121 Horror Stories, Bella Creations Voila Group "No Paper" and City Crafter Challenge Blog for 3D!   This mixed media was actually worked on for three days, some for drying reasons and layers and layers take time!  Some areas I used tissue paper for texture and added Rock Candy crackle here and there after painting, which was highlight with Opalites.  Had to add a few Shrinky Dinks and of course my moulded skulls, which I made from Lucy's very informative course!  I so can't wait for her tissue class!  All stamps are from Artistic Outpost and boy did they work so well for this box!  Let me get started and I sure hope I don't bore you with too many details, but this is going to be a long one!  Sorry! 
First I took the cardboard grape flavored cigar box that my DH found for me and painted it orange, then I stippled on some black.  I did this to hide the background color.  The areas I wanted to use tissue paper on, I then covered with Mod Podge, crinkled the tissue paper and then straighten out a little, added it to the wet MP and flattened.  Some areas I wanted more crinkles, so pushed it together.  After that dried, I covered it with MP.   That was done on the top and inside box lid and the front box panel.  I painted all the panels starting at the bottom with black working up to the lighter colors and orange was the finishing color.  After I painted a small area with the black, I used the dirty brush, went up a little and then work down into the black and this was then repeated with each color.  I did add little splashes of color here and there as I wanted.  I did use MP to cover all painted and finished areas including the inside of the box.  If I leave off anything and you want to know, please pop me an e-mail. 
Box Lid Top:  After tissued and painted, I stamped the Skeleton with Craft White and then heat embossed and added a layer of MP.  While still wet, I added the haunted house which had been stamped on tissue paper with Stazon Black and then cut out.  Cover this with yet another MP layer, while wet, the fencing cut from black and highlighted with Opalites was added.  Another layer of MP.  Everything that was done, was always coated again with MP, so I won't keep repeating.  Inside Box lid is pretty self explanatory.  The witch and cat were cut from Tim Holtz dies, along with the bats and spider! 
Box Inside:  Cut Stampin Up designer paper, the bottom panel was embossed with Tim's folder and then highlighted and dried.  Covered with MP!  A little black trim was added on the top.

Box Sides:  Cat, Owl, Witch were stamped with Black Craft and then clear embossed.  Branches were cut with Tim's new Sizzlits die in black, ran through my new crimper, highlighted with Opaliltes, then flattened.  The Witch and Bottles side panes were stamped on tissue paper with Black Craft, clear embossed and then colored on the reverse side with Stampin Up Markers.  These were cut and then added again to a layer of MP, when that dried, another MP layer.   All embellishments were glued down with Glossy Accents.  BTW, the banner is also an Artistic Outpost stamp that was shrunk!
And the winner of a full ONLINE YEAR of the Technique Junkies Newsletter is, Jack.  Please send me an e-mail with your e-mail, full name and mailing address.  Thank you all for stopping by today with this very long picture and blog post.  Just did not know how to shorten it!  Have a wonderful weekend!  Here is the winner and a picture of the supplies I used!!!

47 comments:

Debi said...

Way Spooky!!!! Terry, love all that "horrorible"" texture :-) just fab, Debi x

Shirl said...

Gosh Terry my little pizza box pails in comparison to this fantastic altered cigar box. Amazing can't begin to describe it, one talented lady.

Hugs Shirley x x

Michele said...

deliciously spooky Terry! what a great piece! xo

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow! Quite spooky indeed! Goodness- this is such a cool project- I love that you show all of the process- love all of the embellishment of the sides too.

Debbie said...

I LOVE IT ALL!!! Awesome creepy grungy stuff! Fabulous details and fantastic creativity! I have about 3 cigar boxes in the basement somewhere!

Ali Manning said...

This is an AMAZING project!

Jan Hennings said...

so spooky...love love this!

Lisa Somerville said...

Such a fab project! Wonderful away to alter the cigar box. Love those googly eyes added to the bottles - perfect for the sentiment - wonderful texture!

Virginia L. said...

Hi Terry, this is one s-BOO-tacular box you made! I just love everything about it!

Eve said...

oh my, Terry, i've never seen such a Spooky Cigar box before! lol!! so much details on it!! I esp. luv two tubes of EYEBALLS!! Very Creative!! :-)

Laura said...

oh this is way cool!
And funny how Jack is the winner....seeings it's Jackolatern season lol.

Laura

Lynn Stevens said...

WOW, Wow Wow!!! Its amazing Terry! So many cool things to see. I think you covered just about every technique out there! Way to ROCK the challenges!
hugs Lynn

donna said...

Fantastic project Terry. So much fun! Thanks for showing your supplies picture- I was trying to figure out what MP was. All of your embellishing is super and scary too..Donna

Sharon said...

AMAZING!!!! What a fantatic box - I love it and just perfect for Halloween! Love all the images and the texture - very unique!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

That is wonderful, thanks for sharing it with us at CCCB!

cheryl said...

oh my gosh hun this really is one stunning piece of work gosh the detail on this is just brilliant hun gosh you are super talented hun amazing piece hugs cherylxxxxx

Fliss said...

This is just amazing Terry. The amount of detail is wonderful and the backgrounds you've created look fabulous.
Thanks for sharing how you made it too.
Have a lovely Sunday.
Hugs, Fliss xx

Sherry said...

Wow, wow, wow Terry!!!! That is one fantastic altered box - love all the brilliant detail. It really is a masterclass. Thanks for sharing how you made it too xx

Valerie-Jael said...

What a lot of wonderful spoooooooooooky things - great! Valerie

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Wow, how cool. Terry, your altered Halloween themed box looks fabulous.

Brenda Brown said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous Terry. What an amazing altered box. I just love all the texture you have created along with the fabulous stamping and the Halloween effect. What an amazing project.
Have a happy Sunday my friend.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Ros said...

I am in awe of your work ... what an amazing project ... so much work and so much detail ... thanks so much for sharing this with us at CCCB

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry
This is an astonishing piece of altered art. Really so fabulous with amazing stamping and details. Bravo!!!
Tissue paper is such fun to work with that I know you will have fun./
I wonder, is that my lovely friend Jack who won. How exciting!!!
Wishes
Lynne

Dolly Daydreams said...

Amazing altered project ! So much work went into this absolutely stunning . Fabulous texture and stamping a real eerie treat

Marie

Sugar Lump Studios said...

Terry this is so wonderful! I love the whole composition of the piece and the texture is amazing! Happy Sunday to you m'dear!

Art From The heart said...

Very original,love what you did with the cigar box!
Congrats to the winner.
Hugs

Girlsinthecraft said...

Wow, you did a delightfully frightful job on this. So much detail and extras. What a treasure you have created.

Paper Squirrel said...

So cool! You've created amazing texture and all the elements together make it super spooky!

stampqueen said...

What a great piece - I love cigar boxes!!!! Lots of great details and wonderful layers!!! I love the bottles with the skulls the best!!!

Unknown said...

I think I need all the dictionaries I can find to sum up all the superlatives I would love to use for this creation Terry! This is just soooooooooooo SUPER COOL! TOTALLY BRILLIANT just about sums it up I hope! Thanks for sharing your extraordinary talent!! Hugs, Ira

Connie Fossenier said...

Terry Mclarry you really outdid yourself this time...wow and double wow...thanks for the detailed tutorial...You rocked all these products...
connie paxman

Anonymous said...

Oh how exciting! It's me!!!
And what a great collection of spooky items. Loving this post. xx

Vada said...

Wow What An Outstanding Cigar Box!!! Terry you have out done yourself. Third time is the charm... Hope this goes throught.
Hugs V

Meggymay said...

Absolutely fabulous Terry, amazing details, hard to believe it is made from a simple box. a real spooky alteration.
Yvonne x

Mrs.B said...

Terry this is absolutely amazing.
Loved reading how you achieve it and not surprised it took days!
You really have a fantastic talent and a wonderful inspiration.
Avril xx

Unknown said...

Now that is one scary Cigar box.. I just love it...

Pam said...

Fabulous box, with so many details and texture! Love the crackle on it!
Pam

Yvonne Garner said...

What an amazing piece, Terry! I am blown away by your talent! Best, Yvonne

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH I love this whimsical, spooky box, Terry! So many wonderful elements! You did a beautiful job with it!

JoAnne said...

Love what you did with that cigar box Terry!

Marjie Kemper said...

You're the Queen of Transformation, Terry! I love your box. All that texture is so wonderful and every panel has something special on it. The bottles on the inside lid were such a fun surprise. Love it!

2amscrapper said...

whew! This was worth all the effort, Terry. It's an amazing piece!

cnelson said...

This is just SPOOKTACULAR! Thanks so much for joining us this week at CCCB!

Carol W. said...

Love love your box! Fabulous job! TFS

Art Chick said...

This box is beautiful. Wonderful texture and I love all the little details!

Electra said...

I'm glad you didn't shorten it! Big congratulations on this awesome box being featured at Gingersnap Creations! It's
won derful!

trisha too said...

What a fabulous box, Terry! Congratulations on being chosen as a Ginger Gem at Gingersnap Creations!!

:)

Blog Archive